Wednesday, August 6, 2008

INTERVIEW WITH ANTHONY GREEN

Anthony Green's Debut solo record, Avalon, is now in stores everywhere on Photo Finish Records. Check out my interview with the Circa Survive frontman!









It's a sunny Wednesday afternoon in July, and another scorcher of a day in New York City. Armed with a voice recorder and list of questions, I hop on the uptown F train towards 52nd Street and 6th Avenue, the home of Atlantic Records and Matt Galle's Photo Finish imprint, where I'm scheduled to meet Anthony Green for an interview. The occasion, as I'm sure you all know, is the impending release of "Avalon," Green's solo debut record, and corresponding tour with his backing band of buddies in the Good Old War. Though many of you have heard versions of these songs before, either on an old High And Driving demo, or played live at a Christmastime show, "Avalon" is a must-have compilation that chronicles Green's musical youth. It's also a forecast of good things to come.

In a window-filled room deep within the labyrinthine Atlantic studios, Green sits with an acoustic guitar in lap, squinting his piercing blue eyes in mild frustration as he fiddles with the tuning pegs. Meredith, his long-time significant other, is perched on a chair across from me, a tiny blond in a navy blue sun dress. Green is smaller in person than I remember from seeing him play at various shows - but that's probably because his charismatic stage presence is always larger than life. And in person, he soon proves to be just as charming.















Anthony: [tuning guitar] I cant understand how some dudes - they listen to the tone of something and just start tuning. It's beyond me, I think I'm tone deaf.

Carolyn: You’re tone deaf?

Anthony: I think I might be…

Carolyn: So its nice to meet you, what brings you to the city today – besides this interview, because I doubt this is the sole reason you're here.

Anthony: Today is – no, well it’s a huge reason why I’m here. Today I’m doing a lot of different press stuff. I’m getting ready to – is that thing working [motions to recorder]

Carolyn: Let me check... Alright, it’s good. So I’m not used to going in to major record labels to do these this type of thing.

Anthony: It’s ok, none of us are – well Marisa is probably used to going to big record labels like this. Marisa (Atlantic Rep): [laughs] well, yeah.

Anthony: But other than her, none of us are used to it [motions to wife, Meredith].

Carolyn: Especially because you used to be on Equal Vision.

Anthony: Yeah.

Carolyn: Is Circa Survive still on it?

Anthony: Circa right now… is in limbo…

Carolyn: Is the band going to release the next record on Atlantic or Photo Finish instead?

Anthony: right now we are searching for our next home – I think that Atlantic, for me I mean, I love all the people that work here – and creatively, there couldn’t be better people that Circa could ever partner up with.

Carolyn: How did you first get involved with Photo Finish Records?

Anthony: I’ve known Matt since – Matt was the first person I ever met that worked in music. You know Matt booked Saosin [say-o-shin] when I was in the band –

Carolyn: So that’s how it’s really pronounced?

Anthony: That’s how I pronounce it – I think I started pronouncing it that way because.. Carolyn: It's just so much easier to call it Saosin.

Anthony: I know, I do it on purpose.

Meredith: You say “Saosin.” [say-o-sin]

Anthony: I know, I do it all the time, but whenever I’m doing an interview or something, I say it the way I originally intended it to be. Somebody the other day in an interview was like, “So wait, is it pronounced “Say-o-shin” or “Say-o-sin?” and I was like, “You’re wrong. It’s pronounced “Cir-ca Sur-vive.” (laughs) So that’s how it’s pronounced.

Carolyn: I’ve actually been a fan of your music since the Saosin days, so yeah, it’s been a while – I don’t even know what year that was now.

Anthony: It was 2001?

Meredith: No.

Anthony: 2002.

Carolyn: How old are you now anyway?

Anthony: I’m 26.

Meredith: And you were 20 when you moved to California.

Anthony: Yeah, that’s right.

Carolyn: One of the first shows I actually went to was Zolof The Rock And Roll Destroyer…

Anthony: Oh really? Where?

Carolyn: The First Unitarian – I’m from Philly too. I don’t know if you were in it or not at that point.

Anthony: That show was probably right after they kicked me out. [shakes head] Kicked out of Zolof The Rock And Roll Destroyer…

Carolyn: Why?

Anthony: I think I wasn’t in a – I was in college at that point, and I was getting fucked up all the time. I hadn’t decided that I wanted to do music full time. I was just in this band and wrote songs and it was fun – and I think the two founders of the band pretty much wanted to change the direction of it. And I was sort of cr… I was sort of, you know, a handful when I was younger. So I think they just saw it was like, “We gotta get this dude out.” I was just hanging around partying all the time.

Carolyn: Where did you go to school?

Anthony: I went to LaSalle, an all boys private catholic high school, and then I went to college for like a minute – and then left. I went to Cabrini College – the only college I got into – and it was because it had been an all girls college for like 25 years.

Carolyn: Wow, all girls huh?

Anthony: So it was the second or third year since they had turned co-ed.

Carolyn: I used to drive by that place all the time.

Anthony: Dude, we’ve had some crazy times down in Radnor.

Carolyn: Have you and Meredith known each other for a long time? Aren’t you married now?

Meredith: Yeah we’re married.

Carolyn: Congratulations.

Anthony: Yeah, thank you.

Carolyn: Was that recent?

Meredith: It was a month ago.

Anthony: Yeah, a month ago – newlyweds!

Carolyn: That’s awesome, aww. Ok, so I should probably ask you about the new record now.

Anthony: You can ask me about anything you want.

Carolyn: So you’ve been working on all of these songs on the side and toying around with them for the past ten years –

Anthony: Mmhm.

Carolyn: What made you decide to put out this record now – instead of say, writing new solo stuff – or do you just feel you needed to get it all out there?

Anthony: I’m always writing new stuff all the time, but I definitely think its easier to write new stuff when you have some sort of closure on stuff that you’ve been working on for so long.

Carolyn: Yeah, yeah.

Anthony: And so, having all of them building up for that long, having songs that I’ve really liked – songs that I’ve loved so much, that I was still just goofing around with – I wanted to record them anyway just to have them. So I can actually sit down and be like, “ok, here are all these songs,” but uh –

Carolyn: Yeah, because there’s so many poorly recorded live versions floating around…

Anthony: Yeah, there’s bootlegs and demos, and I just wanted to do it for myself. And I think I just wanted to put it out there because we actually had time to, you know. Circa would have a break and I would have a chance to tour if I wanted to. I’d have a chance to come up here [to New York] and do stuff like this. Whereas with Circa, it’s always busy. I have time to do anything, I’m locked in my bedroom when I have time off with Circa. So this was keeping me busy, keeping me doing stuff – and it kind of flushes out the inventory so you can focus on the newer stuff with a little more clarity, rather than having all this stuff in the back of your mind.

Carolyn: Yeah, and I’m sure it’s made a lot of your fans happy too, to finally have a good recording of these songs.

Anthony: I hope so.

Carolyn: Now that you’re on Photo Finish, an imprint of Atlantic Records, you’re in a similar type of position that you were in when Saosin was just starting to get bigger. You left Saosin because you were feeling uncomfortable about the direction the band was going in – but can you tell me why this time around you’re ready to take the plunge? I know you’ve had to talk about this a million times before –

Anthony: No don’t worry, seriously, it’s not a bad question to ask. I think the reason why I – there’s a number of reasons why I left, but one of them was that it just wasn’t the right time for me to make the type of commitment that I think I’m ready to made now. Whether its like with, you know, a major label, whether its with… it really is about knowing when its right, and you know, I never said when I left the band and left that situation that it was something I would never want. I can remember being a kid and thinking about it and thinking about punk rock, and being like, “fuck that shit!” [the industry]

Carolyn: Yeah

Anthony: Honestly, like things change, people change and I just wasn’t ready.

Carolyn: You need to make money too.

Anthony: You know, if it was about just making money, it would be so much easier to make decisions, because that type of stuff is very cut and dry – I think so. But this isn’t about making money – it’s about hopefully making money. (laughs) If you can work your shit right, where you’re doing it the way you want to do it, you’re doing it with people who appreciate what you're doing and want to see your vision – people who are like, “I believe in you.” – you know what I mean? That’s with Circa and with anything I do. I think the state of where everything is in the industry, everything is getting their definitions stripped from them. People are having to reconsider doing things they normally would have never done in the past. Things are changing and it’s exciting – everyone talks about it like this is doomsday for the industry. But I think its actually some sort of... when the hazed clears its gonna be more of a sense of revival. And I think – you know when I left California, it was because I wasn’t ready. I wasn’t old enough, I wasn’t smart enough, I wasn’t confident enough. And I’m not saying that I’m really smart now or that I’m old now, or that I’m ten times more confident now – I’m just ready.

Carolyn: That’s a solid answer. With the current state of the music industry, it’s weird how so much has changed from a few years ago. I think I’ve recently sort of stepped away from a lot of the music I used to listen to all the time, emo and punk rock stuff – recently I’ve been like, “What age am I? I’m not a 15 year-old boy” - but then again, why should I even care about that?

Anthony: It’s almost to the point now where it doesn’t even matter – for example, me and Meredith were on the train coming up here yesterday, and there was this girl listening to her headphones and they were super loud – she was listening to like, it might have been the Moulin Rouge soundtrack, like crazy shit. And then all of the sudden we hear this song, and we’re like, “Now what the fuck is this?” – and it’s Fall Out Boy. And I’m like, this is crazy that this band that’s essentially a punk band, and can make popular music – and can make punk rock accessible to the public. And I think Green Day did it, and Blink did it. People do it, and that’s why I think it gets exciting, because its like you want to take music that you feel is sort of selfish, or yours, and you want to share it with everybody and be able to have some fun. I mean this chick was like rocking out. It’s just crazy to think that that’s how lucky the music gets. You can really reach out to everybody – and I’m not saying that’s something that I listen to or any of that, it’s...

Carolyn: I like putting on old Fall Out Boy every once in a while!

Anthony: Yeah I mean, it shouldn’t matter what you listen to or where it comes from – whether its like a basement demo, or a mix tape, or you download it for free. It’s almost to the point now where it doesn’t even matter.

Carolyn: Bands make most of their money now by touring anyway.

Anthony: And at the end of the day, we’re all fans.

Carolyn: That’s what I really like about you and Circa, you always stress the importance of your fans.

Anthony: Yeah, we’re all huge fans of music. We’re not like trying to change anything necessarily do anything different. I think we do things differently just by you know, doing it at all. You’re gonna do it from your own perspective, I dunno, I think that its really not important what “genre” of music you listen to. You should always be able to identify with everything. So if some band you hear on the radio has a great song, it shouldn’t matter what website thinks they’re cool, or what the people who listen to them wear or look like. I think that stuff is all starting to slowly lose importance.

Carolyn: I don’t have much time to check it out anymore, but there was never a shortage of bitching on Absolutepunk.

Anthony: Man, I still read AP.net – I go on it like three, four times a week, [motions to Meredith] she makes fun of me for it. I read all of those “punk news” type of sites, Emotionalpunk too.

Carolyn: Gotta get the emo news.

Anthony: Everybody’s got this stigma with the word "emo" – when I was... how old are you?

Carolyn: 23.

Anthony: Well when I was in high school and first head the word “emo” – I remember hearing multiple definitions for it and thinking that was cool. Like how a band like Coalesce was considered “emo” to some people, and The Get Up Kids, The Anniversary and Braid. I mean, it should be fuckin’ broad. Everything should be broad. You shouldn’t be able to encapsulate something like that [snaps fingers] real easily. It should be getting more difficult for people to categorize things – like the more it evolves, the more it gets better.

Carolyn: Let’s talk about the recording process for Avalon – which was recorded down the shore in Avalon, New Jersey. How did Avalon the place influence you, and is there another reason behind choosing the name for the record?

Anthony: My Dad just said, “you should call it Avalon – so that was it.

Carolyn: Do you have a shore house there?

Meredith: Is that what happened?

Anthony: Or was it you? I’m pretty sure – though I’m probably wrong –

Meredith: It should be just because you recorded it there.

Anthony: I just remember my Dad saying that when were in my kitchen. Or was it you that said it?

Meredith: I dunno.

Anthony: Well, it was Meredith’s idea that I go down there.

Carolyn: Just to get away from everything?

Anthony: We were thinking about where we were going to go record it – and she’s got this amazing house we go to like every summer, and have been going to every summer since we met. And her family, which is fairly large – yeah, her family is fuckin’ huge! So they’re all down there all summer long. And then in the middle of winter we like to sneak down there sometimes too.

Carolyn: It’s gotta be really depressing at the shore in the wintertime.

Anthony: Yeah, sometimes. Yeah it is. So we go down there sometimes just to be alone for a little while. And it’s desolate, it’s like a ghost town. And then she made the suggestion that I record the album there. And its not like we were bothering anybody. No one for miles can hear anything, it was awesome. I mean, cars weren’t even driving down the street all day. So you could keep a mic outside the window and it wouldn’t pick up anything except the waves crashing on the beach.

Carolyn: I went to one of your Christmas time solo shows a few years ago.

Anthony: That’s awesome, which one?

Carolyn: In Philly.

Anthony: Yeah, the one at the Troc?

Carolyn: Yeah.

Anthony: Ahhh that show was so fun.

Carolyn: Have you played there solo more than once?

Anthony: The upstairs part? No. I’ve played the Troc downstairs a couple times with Circa – and once with Zolof. High And Driving played there – we opened for Piebald, and it was right before I left for California. We played the main room.

Carolyn: I’ve seen you play with Circa at the TLA once too, and at Warped Tour of course.

Anthony: The TLA is really cool. That was one of my favorite shows I’ve ever played in my life with Circa Survive – oh my god that was so much fun. My brother John was there too.

Carolyn: Did you grow up in Doylestown?

Anthony: I actually grew up in Holland, PA – which is about – do you know where Richboro or Churchville is, or any of those areas?

Carolyn: I’m from Valley Forge, which is near Paoli, so that’s all sort of nearby, I think.

Meredith: We got married in Audubon.

Carolyn: Really? Yeah, that’s not far. I actually have a friend named Phil Leone who Colin knows – they went to college together and ran into each other recently.

Anthony: That name sounds really familiar.

Carolyn: Phil owns this clothing store in old city called Deep Sleep, and has had a bunch of different bands play shows there on First Fridays and other weekends. So he suggested that you guys play an acoustic show there sometime. I think Paint It Black is supposed to play there soon.

Anthony: Paint It Black, they all live in the city.

Carolyn: Yeah they’re always hanging around. I think Josh works for the Troc.

Anthony: When I played the Church this last Christmas, Paint It Black, all of them except the singer were working the show. And I was like, “I know these guys from somewhere…” They all work in Philly for Electric Factory concerts and just stick around music.

Carolyn: I kind of miss that smaller town vibe about Philly. I moved here recently.

Anthony: I love this city. This city’s amazing, it’s disorienting for me.

Carolyn: Have you ever thought about moving to New York?

Meredith: [shakes head no]

Anthony: I’ve thought about it, but I wouldn’t do it.

Carolyn: What about Brooklyn?

Anthony: I love New York, but I like being more in a country setting. In Doylestown, we’re like a bike ride away from the woods, you know, and from parks and open spaces. A lot of Bucks County and Montgomery County – places in general are losing their open spaces and I don’t know if I could handle it in the city for a long period of time. I’d love to have a place in the city or in Philly where I could come and hang out. But there’s just too much hustle and bustle for me.

Carolyn: I’ll tell Phil to give Colin a call though.

Anthony: Yeah, Colin’s been really busy doing this art show stuff – he’s been spearheading the Siren Records benefit stuff that we’ve been doing. But I think he’d be the best person to get in touch with for the band to do anything like that soon.

Carolyn: You have a really cool and rather unusual voice for a guy – have you ever taken voice lessons?

Anthony: I took lessons on Breathing II. I went to see this guy who was a vocal coach – and we never got into technique or style or anything like that. He showed me how to warm up and get ready to sing – and then I stopped hanging out with him because he’s a weirdo. (laughs) I just never went back.

Carolyn: I read something once about this woman who teaches vocalists how to scream properly, so they don’t hurt their voices.

Anthony: Melissa Cross – I’ve seen some of her videos.

Carolyn: You don’t really scream any more though.

Anthony: My buddy Ryan who plays for Envy On The Coast, sees Melissa Cross and swears by her. I would love to meet her some day. My friend Bob took lessons from Randy, who she also taught how to sing.

Carolyn: There’s so many singers who've really torn up their vocal chords for stupid reasons.

Anthony: I honestly – my feeling is that it’s 90 percent mental – and whether you think that cheese messes your voice up, or smoking, or whatever it is – I think that if you’re confident, you can do whatever you want.

Carolyn: So back to the record - did you produce Avalon by yourself?

Anthony: I produced the majority of it. The one song that I didn’t do is the single ["Dear Child (I've Been Dying To Reach You)"]. John Feldmann did that one. He did all of the production on that song and I recorded the vocals for it when I was like 20.

Carolyn: How did you get together with your backing band The Good Old War?

Anthony: Keith Goodwin and I met when I was a freshman in high school. I actually met Keith the same night that I met Colin – well I’d known about Colin and I’d seen him around. But the first time I ever talked to Colin was the night that Keith and I became friends. Colin was playing drums for Keith’s band Days Away and it was their first show. We were at the YMCA in Bristol I think, and I got along with Keith immediately and we hung out all through high school after that. I loved his band, I loved everything he ever did musically. I mean, we’ve stayed close friends throughout the years. And then Days Away got signed by Atlantic – but kind of got shuffled down to Fueled By Ramen. And then Days Away sort of didn’t belong anywhere because of what they were doing stylistically. And you know, then Circa started doing stuff, but Keith and I have always talked about doing a project together. Tim Arnold, the drummer from Good Old War played on the High And Driving stuff with me back in 2002 or whatever, 2001 and whenever that was. I don’t even remember when that was.

Carolyn: Was that before or after Audience of One?

Anthony: That was after Audience of One and Zolof. After I was kicked out of Zolof I spent like, I actually had to go to rehab for a little while and then –

Meredith: I thought you went to rehab later –

Anthony: No, No. I recorded the High And Driving stuff after rehab.

Meredith: Are you sure? I don’t think so.

Anthony: I’m 100 percent positive. So anyway, Tim started playing drums with me back then, before Saosin, when I was still living at home. And you know he and I have been friends forever. Tim and I did some crazy shit back in the day. He’s like the best drummer that ever lived. He’s a machine. He loves playing music, he loves being challenged. There’s two types of musicians – there’s the guy that’ll be like, “Oh I can’t figure this out – fuck it! Whatever.” And then there’s the dude who will not leave until he gets it, until he figures it out – and that’s Timmy.

Carolyn: What type are you?

Anthony: Umm, I’m somewhere in between.

Carolyn: I remember at that Troc solo show, you were up on stage and you were like, “I don’t even play guitar!”

Anthony: I don’t!

Carolyn: Not that I could tell, the crowd was so noisy – but do you think you’ve gotten the hang out it by now?

Anthony: I’ve been playing a lot more since then. How many years ago was that? Two or three?

Carolyn: Two, I think.

Anthony: Yeah, I’ve been playing a shit ton since then, and I’m still not good.

Carolyn: I’ve tried to learn guitar, but I just couldn’t do it.

Anthony: But you can, you can though – it’s like a muscle, and you slowly get better at it with practice. I mean, I’m not trying to be a great guitar player, I just need to be able to keep up kind of a rhythm with all my songs. But that show especially, I was not very good… (laughs) But the more you play the better you get.

Carolyn: How do you come up with your lyrics? I read in an old interview that sometimes lyrics are more important to you than the actual music. Is that true?

Anthony: All the songs on this album, are all songs in which I would start with a guitar part – and the lyrics just kind of came out. I don’t really put a whole lot of forethought into writing lyrics. I just sort of let them happen, and then you’d be amazed when you see how much of what you just let happen, finds its own really defined, definite meaning in the future. If you just let it go and it comes out, you’ll read it later and you’re just like, “damn this is really deep. Like this really has something to do with what’s going on in my life right now." And you don’t have to force it. You never have to force anything.

Carolyn: Have your parents always been supportive of your music? Or were they ever like, “What are you doing with you life?”

Anthony: Just recently, pretty much. Yeah, when I told them I was moving to California, they were like, “Why???” – and I was like, “Ahhh I’m gonna go sing in this band!” And they were like, “What the fuck is the matter with you? You don’t sing.” And I’m like, “Yeah, I do sometimes!”

Carolyn: Well you ended up having a pretty decent voice for someone who doesn’t sing!

Anthony: So yeah, I was like, “I sing sometimes” – and they had heard me sing in bands before – but I was in like grindcore bands when I was in high school. You know, I never took it seriously – and I didn’t even take it seriously when I was out there [in California]. I was just trying to have fun and make music that I liked. And the more serious it got out there, the more I realized that I didn’t belong there. So my parents haven’t really been supportive until more recently. They didn’t understand anything about it until they started seeing, you know..

Carolyn: The amount of people at shows.

Anthony: Yeah, going to shows, and it wasn’t until Circa that they really got it. I remember they came to New York to see me play in my old band and they all wore t-shirts that they’d made which said “Anthony Green.”

Carolyn: That’s so cute!

Anthony: Yeah, they’re crazy. My parents are crazy! They got more supportive as they saw that I could do it, and not be homeless. My parents never wanted anything more – after all the shit that I put them through when I was a younger kid, they never wanted anything more than for me to be able to be happy.

Carolyn: That’s important.

Anthony: Whether that meant I was making sandwiches, or making cd’s – so yeah, they’re really psyched now.

Carolyn: Yeah, they should be!

Anthony: They act like I’m like Lenny Kravitz or something.

Carolyn: That relates to another question I wanted to ask you. There’s a lot of people in a certain music scene who know who you are – but how often do you actually get recognized when you’re walking around in public?

Anthony: Very seldom, rarely.

Carolyn: Yeah, because you look like a normal guy.

Anthony: I am a normal guy!

Carolyn: Yeah, I didn’t mean that you aren’t. It’s just that –

Anthony: I very seldom get recognized. I think I look different in ever picture that’s ever been taken of me – which I like. It’s really not important to me that people recognize me at all. I mean, I’d like them to be able to recognize my band at least. It really has very little to do with me as a person. I’m just along for this ride that I’m enjoying, and it’s fun, and there are very scary times of it – you know, like on every other ride. You get scared, and you’re like, “oh shit!” but then you remember, oh yeah everything’s ok, you’re just on a ride.

Carolyn: Did you ever used to get stage fright singing?

Anthony: It’s really only when my parents come to shows, or when Meredith would come – although she makes me less nervous now probably.

Carolyn: Yeah

Anthony: But I guess it’s like anything – the more you do it, the more confident you get at it. Nervousness is good, it’s good to be nervous, because then it makes things exciting and you get psyched. I try not to let it defeat the freedom aspect of performing. You’re supposed to get nervous so then when you jump off that nervous cliff you’re like, “yeahhh sweet!”

Marisa: Carolyn, can you begin to wrap it up please?

Carolyn: Yeah, yeah – I just have a few more questions.

Anthony: [to Marisa] Can I just tell you how cool that just made me feel that you said that? That was really cool. That went down in history as one of the coolest moments ever – that’s so cool!

Marisa: (laughing) That’s what I do!

Anthony: That’s what your job is – you’re like, “excuse me, wrap this up please.” (laughs) It’s pretty cool that my job entitles somebody else having to tell somebody else what’s up about talking to me. That’s pretty huge in my opinion. I’m tellin’ my mom about that!

Carolyn: When did you realize that you wanted to play music as a career, as opposed to sticking to a “normal” job? Did you just decide one day, or did you always sort of know?

Anthony: I think I just decided one day – it might have been in California, or it might have been when I was at home. I think it was when I was home doing the High And Driving stuff. I was like, “You know, I really want to try and do this.” Colin was in This Day Forward, Keith was in Days Away – all of my friends were in bands, they were all doing something.

Carolyn: What bands were you really influenced by back then?

Anthony: I listened to all the Dischord Records stuff when I was growing up, and my older brother Mike got me into a lot of the Sub Pop bands, and into the Screaming Trees and Sunny Day Real Estate and stuff, and Nirvana. And that was all really appealing. And I also loved Public Enemy and the Beastie Boys and stuff like that. I dunno, I loved Bjork, I loved The Promise Ring, I just loved music. And it was a good time for it too, because you could really make – if you had 300 bucks you could make four songs in the studio.

Carolyn: And back then before the internet and MySpace blew up, music was more difficult to search for, but when you found a good band it was worth it.

Anthony: I used to go on that website, Makeoutclub.com to find out about new music.

Carolyn: I remember that site!

Anthony: I’d be like, “Ok this person likes all this music that I’ve heard of” – so then I’d click on their friends to see what music they were into.

Carolyn: I used to always look through album jackets to see who bands thanked.

Anthony: Yeah, yeah, you’d look at who they thanked, and then I’d go check that band out. That’s how I heard – I mean, Hot Water Music had thanked a bunch of bands that I went and then checked out.

Carolyn: What have you been listening to recently? Is there anything new that you’re excited about?

Anthony: I think Battles is really good. The new Good Old War is awesome. Portugal. The Man is coming out with an awesome new record soon too.

Carolyn: I like them – I interviewed John [Gorely, the singer] a while ago.

Anthony: He’s crazy! Isn’t he weird?

Carolyn: Yeah, he’s a weird dude – he wore his sunglasses throughout the entire interview, even though it was dark outside.

Anthony: That band is fuckin’ crazy, I love them so much, they’re awesome. There’s some other good bands I should mention – Andy Jackson [of Hot Rod Circuit]'s new band, I think it's called Death In The Park, is really good. Lots of other stuff, the new Radiohead is awesome.

Carolyn: Yeah it is – I’ve been listening to a lot of old Radiohead too recently.

Anthony: Yeah, "Pablo Honey" – that’s what Circa, we… in the last couple of weeks I’ve been thinking about where we are as a band, as Circa Survive. And if you go back and listen to records like "Pablo Honey" and "The Bends," you’re like, “oh yeah, you could go anywhere.” You’ve just got to be patient, that’s all.






























*as posted by Carolyn Brennan for emotionalpunk.com

9 comments:

Night of the Living Fred said...

That was a very well done interview, and I love what you've got going on here. Keep up the great work.

Rob said...

Great interview and love the album, thanks.

Jonye West said...

Amazing interview. nice site too btw.

Reuben said...

This was great. Nice one.

Daniel said...

Really great job with this! Wow. Anthony always has some shit to say and you did an awesome job asking some awesome questions. Take care!

Anonymous said...

Very descriptive article, I loved that a lot. Will there be a part 2?


Feel free to visit my webpage; best registry cleaner
my page > best registry cleaner

Anonymous said...

geotorelxzp best debt consolidation
credit consolidation

Anonymous said...

Hello, i thinκ that i saw yοu visited my web ѕіte thus i came tο “гeturn
the fаvor”.I am trying to fіnd thingѕ to enhance my web site!

Ӏ suppose its ok to use sοme of your ideаs!
!

Stορ bу my web blog: Arjun Kanuri

Anonymous said...

What a informаtіon of un-ambiguitу and preserνeness of ρreciοus
knowledge conceгnіng unргeԁictеԁ feelingѕ.


My sіte: private blog network